July 22, 2010

Jean Marembert

I've been collecting pictures of 19th century/early 20th century book illustrations for a while now, particularly black and white ink drawings, and I find them to be infinitely more exciting than most modern art that I come across. Whether this is due to some kind of failure on my part to connect with the collective consciousness of today's youth (entirely possible) or whether it's because they're legitimately of a higher standard is a subjective matter, but either way I can't get enough of them. These images by French artist Jean Marembert come from a book (which I haven't read) called Le Lycanthrope by Petrus Borel, courtesy of the excellent blog Au carrefour etrange.  I didn't have any luck finding out what the book is about, but the art features a lot of cats, which is always a sure-fire way to get me interested in something.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you love Marembert. We have an illustrated monograph and catalogue raisonné about this artist coming out 10/3/2019. It is in French only for the moment. You can check it out and related events at our bilingual website: www.jeanmarembert.com. Marembert would have loved the tattoos!

Anonymous said...

Glad you love Marembert. We have an illustrated monograph and catalogue raisonné about this artist coming out 10/3/2019. It is in French only for the moment. You can check it out and related events at our bilingual website: www.jeanmarembert.com. Marembert would have loved the tattoos!

Post a Comment